13 July 2007

Ask Mr. Meeting

Dear Mr. Meeting: I recently informed my task force that any outcome measures we derive would necessitate new pedagogy and are thus best reported within empirical support rubrics. My co-chair argued that a demonstration of multitasking relevant to the de rigueur substructure is intrinsic to our (or any) organizational strategic imperatives. I won the day but am now having second thoughts as to whether she was correct. Alpha Co-Chair

Dear Alf: Given the limitations inherent in the proposed alternative, it was appropriate to divert the task force toward rubric compilation. However, had Ms. Co-Chair used the phrasing “organizational strategic assumptions” (which, you’ll have to admit, may be what she had in mind), the correct response would have been to facilitate feedback toward long-range objectives.


Dear Mr. Meeting: While debating specific internal/external factors to include in the organizational mission statement, the committee chair assigned 3 of us to a subcommittee to explore the company’s vision vis-à-vis market instability, opportunities, directions, and competition. At the time, I didn’t think much about it, but now I’m wondering whether process development could be compromised by an executive action of this sort. What do you think? Associate Subcommittee Head

Dear AssSubHead: Such an assignment sounds more like a task force than a subcommittee, and thus any questions regarding process are secondary to the implementation of prerogatives. Openly question your chair’s ability to facilitate a supportive environment and watch how fast he or she pays attention to amending organizational infrastructure!


Dear Mr. Meeting: I have to confess: I hate meetings. Whenever I’m in one, I spend the entire ordeal checking and rechecking my watch and thinking about the portion of my life that doesn’t concern budgetary priorities, Robert’s Rules of Order, aligning goals to imperatives, or mechanisms for realizing long term outcomes. Please provide some feedback in order that I might facilitate a decline in the instability of my attention to task. The Master of “Meeting Be Hating”

Dear Master B’Hating: You just asked me for “feedback” to “facilitate” greater stability. In other words, there’s nothing to worry about: You’ll be one of the gang in no time.


Dear Mr. Meeting: During, say, the compilation of strategic planning initiatives, I like to wait for junior executives to express new ideas regarding prioritization of novel resources in ways the CEO terms “outside the box,” after which I roll my eyes, sigh, and say something like, “Why not just have a f****** hoagie sale, Mortimer?” In your opinion, how quickly will this strategy fast-track a promotion over these half-brains? A Whole Brain

Dear A-Whole: Please kill yourself. Then never write to me again.


Dear Mr. Meeting: After a recent meeting on updating service delivery options, a really hot female member of the sales force told me she’d “do anything” to be part of the revenue source research initiative. How much should I read into that comment? Married Guy

Dear Mary: If you’re asking what I think you are, allow me to point out that your thoughts are quite inappropriate, not to mention unprofessional. Now please excuse Mr. Meeting, as he suddenly feels an urge to visit the bathroom.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Meeting:
I'm so glad you found your way to Lincoln's Trombone, THE source of knowledge on the web. My question: Recently, I met someone (in a meeting no less) for the first time that I had 'known' for some time via the world-wide-web. Despite my good feelings toward this fine man, I had a very difficult time not staring at his unusual facial twitches. Worse, I kept imagining how much like a terrorist he would look with a moustache and multi-day beard growth. A couple of times, I was forced to say "there you go" when I had no idea what he had just said because my mind was drifting.
Thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Dear Ed:
I know what you’re saying. Once I was excited about meeting an entrepreneur with a reputation for dynamic streamlining of planning amendments. When I did, however, the first thing out of his mouth was, “My efforts to increase flexibility have succeeded in generating instability among updated cohorts” (yes, you read it right: INstability across cohorts). You can imagine my disappointment! Despite my distraction at finding out my former hero was an idiot, I persevered, and presented some updated feedback mechanisms that he could employ competitively within selected service markets. He examined my proposal carefully, then wafted an SBD into his own face and said, “Ah! There’s absolutely nothing like the heat waves emanating off chunky-style butt gravy!”
Anyway, I’m sure you get my point.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Meeting:

I recently created a task-force to study the need for a sub-committee that would make recommendations to an interactive planning consortium of a committee that reports in executive sessions to determine ways and means to create additional committees and plan structural changes in planning and design. My biggest question: Who brings the donuts?

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Muncy: It is generally the responsibility of the meeting formatter (in this case, you) to provide all necessary resources. In other words, if consumables are considered by all prospective attendees to be a needed prerequisite for task force business, it may well fall upon you to supply said provisions. If such a consideration is not valid, then a colleague can take the point in this matter, but this cannot be effected via assignment but, rather, only through volunteerism. There is, however, one disallowment inherent within these establishments: If your task force includes a guy who always refers to doughnuts and “dog nuts,” you may assign him the task. This exception is designed to precipitate at least one of two outcomes: 1) the dog nuts joke will likely be told as soon as your cohort arrives, thereby getting it out of the way early and 2) with any luck, he will use the same phrasing at the bakery and get his ass kicked.