26 October 2007

Quarterfinals


Match 1: 1972 Dolphins vs. Bobby Fischer. Fischer opens well, but this is one group match that is simply too much for his insane cortex to handle. With a quick fake and limber execution, Jake Scott single-handedly snatches victory away from “The Fischer-Man” in the final seconds.


Match 2: 1927 Yankees vs. Mark Spitz. First upset of the day, as the ’27 team is surprised by Spitz’s speed and stamina. Gehrig leads a valiant comeback, but too late in the day and the Yanks fall short.

Match 3: Secretariat vs. Taylor Hicks. A complete mismatch. Big Red, fresh off his qualifying annihilation of Larry Storch, defeats Hicks before the opening bell stops ringing.

Match 4: Bill Tilden vs. Millard Fillmore. Though Vegas installed him as a slight favorite, Tilden can’t hang with the tougher and more seasoned prez. Fillmore gets the early lead and coasts.

Semifinal pairings: Dolphins-Spitz; Secretariat-Fillmore.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You Americans are so provincial! How about including some Brits who’ve risen to the top of their fields? You know, like...um...OK, I’m drawing a blank at present, but I stand by my idea!

Anonymous said...

And some women too! Jenna Jameson, for instance!

Anonymous said...

Early thoughts on the semifinals:

The 72 Dolphins are viewed as unstoppable, yet detractors say that they were the proverbial 'one step ahead of the posse' kind of team (note previous victories over Carrot Top and Lola Falana) Spitz on the other hand has faced murder's row and swallowed them whole. He's also faced a vastly under-rated Charro and a tough but young 1980's olypmic hockey team squad. Bottom line: Spitz has the better mustache. Spitz by 10.

Secretariat vs. Fillmore is a much tougher match to call. Call Secretariat handle the extra distance on short rest? Can he over come Fillmore's insatiable drive to prove his worth as the greatest UNelected President ever? Secretariat by a nose.

Confidential to P. George: Not so much with the teeth next time, honey.

Anonymous said...

I object to this tournament! (my lawyer said that made me sound really smart). ANY tournament that I am not in is faulty! Look at my hair! Look at me without my shirt on! Of course, I know why you would duck me, my body , my good looks and all the big words I know are just too much heat for you to handle! Who ever heard of a secretary winning anything except a place on the floor under the bosses desk?

Anonymous said...

I saw all 4 semis and let me tell you I'm unimpressed with the winners. Our practice squad could take any of them and do so while earning that quality ND degree everyone covets. And they'd whup 'em without any cheating, I promise you that!

Anonymous said...

Andrew Ridgeley!

A-ha! Take that, yanks!

Anonymous said...

Big time fluke! Listen, pal--youse puts us against Spitz a hunnerd times we win 99. And ain't no one in the hole tawnuhment we couldn't drink unduh the table!

Anonymous said...

You NYers kill me, what with yer little giants and mets and shit. You act like you own all sports. Meanwhile, here you can't spray diarrhea out yer blowhole without hitting a champion of some sort. The sox just know how to win--they showed that agin this week. The Pats are clearly the best (Indy who?). BC is 2 in the BCS and rising. The Celts are yung & should dominate the NBA for the next 15 yrs! Why are we the town of winners? Cuz we demand nothing less!

Anonymous said...

STFU, Irish guy! If there's one thing I can't stand it's fans who've had a few good years acting like they invented their sport!

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog and i really appreciate the excellent quality content you are posting here for free for your online readers. thanks peace claudia.